The Emblem Editor is a feature used in the Garage mode of F-Zero GX. Essentially a heavily scaled-down drawing program, it allows players to design various emblems that can be affixed to custom vehicles.
Individual emblems are saved onto the memory card and require 3 blocks each to save. Emblems can be saved to and loaded from memory cards in either Slot A or Slot B of the console.
Players can draw on a single square canvas with the following commands available for their brush:
- Draw, which adds a single pixel when the A button is pressed. Holding the A button and moving the cursor will continue to draw pixels.
- Erase, which removes pixels when the A button is pressed. Holding the A button and moving the cursor will continue to erase pixels.
- Fill, which fills an area with the selected colour.
- Line, which creates lines. Pressing A will place the start of the line, and pressing it a second time elsewhere on the canvas will create an unbroken line between the two points.
- Draw a Circle, where pressing A and moving the cursor will create a single circle. This tool can only draw circles, and not ellipses.
- Draw a Rectangle, where pressing A and moving the cursor will create a single rectangle. Unlike the previous tool, it does not automatically scale the edges of the rectangle to form a perfect square.
- Enlarge the Edit Screen, which allows the player to decide between three levels of zoom on the canvas, allowing for finer adjustments to the emblem.
- Draw and Fill a Circle, which is identical to Draw a Circle, but automatically fills the circle instead of creating a hollow shape.
- Draw and Fill a Rectangle, which is identical to Draw a Rectangle, but automatically fills the rectangle instead of creating a hollow shape.
- Rotate Emblem, which allows the player to rotate the emblem by 90 degrees in any direction.
- Invert Emblem, which flips the emblem along the y-axis.
- Load a Sample, which allows the player to select a pre-designed emblem and edit it with the tools they have.
- Clear Emblem, which completely blanks the canvas.
- Undo Operation, which clears the previous action by the player
- Redo Operation, which re-adds anything cleared by the player via Undo Operation
- Load Emblem, which allows the player to load any emblem they have made and edit it
- Save Emblem, which allows the player to save their emblem, either as a new emblem or as an updated version of an older emblem
- Close the Editor, which exits the player back to the Garage menu.
The controls for the Emblem Editor are as follows:
- Control stick / D-pad: Select between menu functions; pressing A will change the focus from the menus to the canvas.
- A button: Switches focus to canvas if focus was on menus; activates commands when pressed in the canvas
- B button: Switchs focus to menus if focus was on canvas; quits mode if focus is on menus
- X button: Eyedropper button, saves the current RGB colour and applies it to the current tool.
- Y button: Provides a grid to help align the player's brush.
- Z button: Changes the size of the player's brush, from 1 pixel to 81 pixels
- Start/Pause: Displays a help menu
- C-stick: Selects from a variety of colours available, alongside allowing access to an RGB mixer to select further colours.