Bio Rex (バイオ レックス Baio Rekkusu?) is a character in the F-Zero series of video games. The character debuted in the 1998 Nintendo 64 title F-Zero X, and has since been a recurring character in the series. Outside of video games, Bio Rex made an appearance in the F-Zero: GP Legend anime.
Bio Rex is a hulking, humanoid dinosaur created from a fossilized egg by the Keerlon Corporation. His brain function is similar to a human's, though he maintains the aggression of a carnivorous predator. He entered his first F-Zero tournament to prove his superiority to humans, but he has since been motivated by his ravenous appetite.
Bio Rex, an extremely violent racer who was described as being "as aggressive as Pico" in the F-Zero GX manual, is a bioengineered cross between a human and a dinosaur, created by the Keerlon Corporation in the K-22 space station. His creation is one of the company's greatest achievements, though the technology used to develop him was outlawed on Earth many years ago. In order to gain widespread public attention, Keerlon entered Bio Rex in the F-Zero Grand Prix. Early on in his career, however, the dinosaur caused some embarrassment and bad press for the Keerlon Corporation, who subsequently distanced themselves from him and withdrew their support. Despite this, Bio Rex went on to enter the Grand Prix by himself, and still races to this day. He is consumed by his hunger for meat (often threatening to eat his F-Zero opponents), and has a particular fondness for mammoth ribs.
His machine, the Big Fang, was built with his violent tendencies in mind. While it features an incredibly tight control scheme and a strong body, its speed is lacking.
In the Anime
Bio Rex is an imposing, green-scaled humanoid reptile with dinosaur-like features. His head is similar in shape to that of a T-Rex, with a mouthful of sharp fangs that he says he could use to eat his racing machine. He has a long, reptilian tail and hands with three large, clawed fingers. He wears an armored suit that covers much of his torso, with bracers and shoulder pads.
Bio Rex made his first appearance in F-Zero X for the Nintendo 64, where he wanted to prove his superiority over humans. He has also been a playable character in F-Zero GX, F-Zero: GP Legend, and F-Zero Climax.
In F-Zero Climax, Bio Rex could be unlocked by clearing the Platinum Cup on Standard difficulty.
Profiles and statistics
|Instruction manual description |
This dinosaur is a product of bio-technology. Through this technology, his brain has become very similar to a human's. If he wins the Grand Prix, he will prove that he's superior to humans.
- Takayuki Fujimoto Web Site (Japanese). Retrieved on 2011-09-20.
- (2003-08-25) in Amusement Vision: F-Zero GX instruction manual (in English). Nintendo, pp. 35.
- Sackenheim, Shawn. Bio Rex's Biography. All Game Guide. Retrieved on 2011-09-14.
- Pilot & Machine. F-Zero.com (2003). Retrieved on 2011-09-14.
- Mr. Zero: What would you consider your pride and joy? Bio Rex: These fangs. They're so sharp, I could eat my racing machine. Nintendo EAD. F-Zero GX. Nintendo. Nintendo GameCube. (in English). 2003-08-26.
- F-Zero X manual. Nintendo, posted by TheCuster58. Retrieved on 2018-11-30.
- F-Zero Climax Pilot & Machine (Japanese). Nintendo. Retrieved on 2011-09-22.
|Characters of F-Zero|