F-Zero (F-ZERO, Efu Zero[?]) is a futuristic racing video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game was first released in Japan on November 21, 1990 and later in North America on August 13, 1991 and in Europe on June 4, 1992. The title was downloadable over the Nintendo Power peripheral in Japan. It was also released onto the Nintendo Super System. The special edition of the game was released on the Super Famicom's Satellaview attachment. As the first game in the F-Zero series, it was released in Japan as one of the two debut titles for the Super Famicom, the Japanese name for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. However, in the United States, this launch title was accompanied by more games. In late 2006, F-Zero became available over the Wii's Virtual Console and the Wii U's Virtual Console on February 20th of 2013 worldwide. On September 5, 2019, F-Zero became available for the Nintendo Switch Online application as one of the launch titles for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System segment.
F-Zero features an elimination style race in which the player is given a certain place to be in each lap (1st place, 2nd place, etc.). The player will be knocked out if the player is not in that place or higher at the end of a lap.
Mute City I
Death Wind I
Mute City II
Port Town I
Red Canyon I
White Land I
White Land II
Mute City III
Death Wind II
Port Town II
Red Canyon II
- Main article: F-Zero on The Cutting Room Floor
- F-Zero appears as one of the microgames in the 9-Volt stage in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! called F-Zero.
- An F-Zero jazz album was released on March 25, 1992 in Japan and features twelve songs from the game on a single disc composed by Yumiko Kanki and Naoto Ishida, and arranged by Robert Hill and Michiko Hill. Earlier in that same month, on March 4th, two songs, Mute City and Red Canyon, were rearranged by Takami Asano for the Nintendo Super Famicom Game Music album, along with other games like SimCity, Pilotwings, Super Mario World, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- The term "F-Zero" stands for "Formula Zero." It is a parody of the name for the FIA's auto race called Formula One, or F-1.
- Nintendo Power (Japanese). Nintendo. Archived from the original on 2006-12-15. Retrieved on 2007-08-05.
- BS F-Zero 2 Grand Prix. IGN. Retrieved on 2006-06-19.
- Sheff, David . Game Over: How Nintendo Zapped an American Industry, Captured Your Dollars, and Enslaved Your Children, First, New York: Random House, Inc., p. 361. ISBN 0-679-40469-4.
- Parish, Jeremy (2006-11-14). Out to Launch: Wii. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2007-07-03.
- Vuckovic, Daniel (2006-10-18). First 7 Aussie Virtual Console games revealed. Vooks.net. Retrieved on 2006-10-23.
- SNES games coming to Nintendo Switch Online. Polygon (2019-9-04). Retrieved on 2020-05-24.
- IGN Staff (1998-07-14). F-Zero X. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-07-16. “It [F-Zero] was the first of its kind; the only really successful inheritor (or copier, depending on how you look at it) to date are Psygnosis's Wipeout and Wipeout II for Sony's PlayStation.”
- Thomas, Lucas (2007-01-26). F-Zero (Virtual Console) review. IGN. Retrieved on 2007-07-16.
- Allen, Matt. SNES WEEK: Day 5. NTSC-uk.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-03.
|Pilots||Captain Falcon • Dr. Stewart • Pico • Samurai Goroh|
|Machines||Blue Falcon • Fire Stingray • Golden Fox • Wild Goose|
|Planets||Big Blue • Death Wind • Fire Field • Mute City • Port Town • Red Canyon • Sand Ocean • Silence • White Land|
|Track Features||Anti-Gravity Guide Beam • Dash Zone • Down-Pull Magnet • Jump Plate • Left-Pull and Right-Pull Magnet • Magnetic Field Block Coat • Mine • Pit • Rough|
|Mechanics||Boost • Drift • Energy • Rocket Start • Short Cut Foul|
|Modes||Grand Prix • Practice • Records|
|Other||Album • F-Zero: The Story of Captain Falcon • Mr. Zero • Official Recorder|
|F-Zero titles||F-Zero • BS F-Zero Grand Prix • BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 • F-Zero X (Expansion Kit) • F-Zero: Maximum Velocity • F-Zero GX / AX • F-Zero: GP Legend (anime) • F-Zero Climax|
|Crossover titles||Captain Falcon's Twister Race • Mario Kart Wii • Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe • Super Smash Bros. • Super Smash Bros. Melee • Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|