|Guidelines and Policies
Redirects are pages that, when linked to, send the user to another page instead. These are generally used for common misspellings of article titles, or in cases where two different spellings of a name have been used for the same object in different games (e.g. Dr. Stuart in F-Zero becoming Dr. Stewart in later games). Linking to redirects is generally discouraged within articles, where accuracy and consistency is key. Instead, the main purpose of redirects is to link users to the correct pages from locations over which the wiki has no control (i.e. external sites, the search bar, etc.).
To create a redirect, first check to see if one is necessary. To do so, manually go to the page using your browser's address bar (i.e. http://mutecity.org/wiki/<incorrect title>). If you reach the page you were looking for, a redirect is not needed. If not, begin creating the page as normal. Its only content will be:
Do not add any other content (aside from categories where necessary), or else the redirect will not work.
When a redirect is necessary
Redirects may be needed in these cases:
- Common misspellings (e.g. "F Zero" for "F-Zero")
- Objects whose names have changed between games. The more recent English name should be used. (e.g. Dr. Stuart in F-Zero becoming Dr. Stewart in later games)
- Abbreviations (e.g. "FZX" for "F-Zero X")
- Titles that differ between US and PAL English translations
- Capitalisation differences that do not go to the correct title otherwise (e.g. "F-zero gx" for "F-Zero GX")
Do not create redirects in these cases:
- Uncommon misspellings (e.g. "Captan Falcon" for "Captain Falcon")
- Nonsensical titles (e.g. "fast car" for anything)
- Links to external sites; these are a potential source of confusion for viewers, as they give no notice that they are being linked to a different site than F-Zero Wiki